Ranking in local search results is more difficult than ever. This is due to the massive increase in traffic that local businesses receive due to advancement of mobile technology. People prefer search for ‘near me’ results due to an ease in finding the right service closest to their location. Moreover, businesses are recognizing the benefits of local search. It means that ranking on the top needs to be the first priority of online businesses if they want to earn something big through their online marketing campaigns.
Basic local ranking signals
You need to make sure that your bases are covered well before you start your local SEO campaign. There are a few factors which need to be mentioned in this regard.
- You need to make sure that you have claimed your local listing on Google My Business. It is not going to take more than just a few minutes. If you want to improve your local SEO, you need to claim your local listing on Google My Business as the very first step.
- The next thing that you are going to have to do is to select the right category on Google My Business listing. One thing worth mentioning here is that you will need to select as fewer categories as possible because it can help you stay in the accurate category.
- Take photos of the business, your staff members, and your customers. You need to post those pictures everywhere you can submit your business listing. This addition of pictures is going to enhance the credibility of your business.
- Although Google is the top search engine, Bing also enjoys a handsome 33 percent share of the market. You can create an account on Bing Places.
- Online directories can be highly beneficial when it comes to the promotion of your business in the local search. The top directories you can go for may include Apple Maps, Yellowpages, Foursquare, and Yahoo’s Localworks. Citations had great influence on the rankings once but they are not that effective now. Still, they can help you get handsome amount of local web traffic.
- The review websites can help you get huge amount of traffic. The top review websites mainly include Yelp, Glassdoor, Angie’s List and BBB.
- The number of positive reviews about your business is another deciding factor for the ranking of your site. The higher number of positive reviews can enhance the visibility of your business.
- You can also respond to the positive reviews and it is going to be beneficial for your local SEO as well. You will have to make sure that you are responding the reviews in an intelligent manner.
- Finally, you need to have a Facebook business page because you cannot thrive until you are also addressing the social audience.
Working on these few ranking signals can help you get your local listing getting promoted in the local search. Make sure that you are not ignoring any of the ranking factors.